Old 10-01-2013, 02:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens
Danny D.[_3_] Danny D.[_3_] is offline

Default Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with achainsaw?

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 10:42:03 +0000, Kay Lancaster wrote:

How about power pruners like:
http://www.blackanddecker.com/outdoor/LP1000.aspx or the pro versions?

Wow. That looks like a mean pruner!
This is the FIRST suggestion which is actually affordable (i.e., $80).
I do have a 20 inch hedge clipper - but it gets hung up on the vines all
the time, so I didn't even mention it. But THIS pruner, wow, it sure
looks like it might do the job if I can get an 18-inch long jaw.

Do you know about Technu IvyBlock and Technu Extreme?

I've researched the chemicals in those expensive creams in great detail.
What I use is the cheaper base alternative shown in this photograph:
Bentonite clay (IvyBlock), Dawn Dish Detergent + alchohol (Technu/Zanfel)

In my very humble opinion, only people who work for the government (e.g.,
firemen) can afford these expensive $40/ounce solutions.

The problem with IvyBlock (or my driller's clay) is that you have to put
it on ahead of time; and the problem with Technu (or dish detergent +
alcohol) is that it mostly works in the first 15 minutes.

But, I just found this patent which will give me a great new solution!
- United States Patent 4,594,239, June 10, 1986,
- Method for neutralizing offensive chemicals
- http://tinyurl.com/ah7myn3

I can take diluted bleach (or pool trichlor) and mix it with rubbing
alcohol (or acetone) as a wetting agent, and that will oxidize the
urushiol sap just enough so that the body's T Cells won't recognize it
anymore as offensive.

The beauty of this (new to me) approach is that I can afford to slather
this new decontamination solution on my face, hands, wrists, ears, and
neck every fifteen minutes while working in the ravines.

The amazing thing is that I had never heard of this decontamination
solution until just yesterday! I found it out on rec.photo.digital when I
asked how to decontaminate my expensive Nikon SLR which is clearly
covered in urushiol sap by now!