Old 10-01-2013, 03:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

Default Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with a chainsaw?

I thought you were going to spray it on the plants.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Danny D." wrote in message

United States Patent 4,594,239, to Pluim, Jr., on June 10, 1986
Titled: Method for neutralizing offensive chemicals
http://tinyurl.com/ah7myn3

so the body no longer recognizes the skin as human, and attacks it.

That effect is actually fairly easy to interfere with. Pretty much any
change to the urushiol molecule would probably prevent dermatitis.

Chlorine bleach is a strong oxidizing agent, and should easily do the
trick. Getting it into the oil would be aided by adding alcohol or
acetone as a wetting agent, but a strong surfactant should also work.

The patent prefers a solution of acetone + butyl acetate +
trichloroisocyanuric acid for neutralizing urushiol on skin, clothes, and
equipment; but if I preferentially select just the common household
chemicals discussed, the patent seems says that 2% to 6% common bleach
alone or combined with 5% to 20% rubbing alcohol (or acetone) as a
wetting agent will neutralize urushiol in about 1 minute.

The patent even explains how adding certain ferrous compounds will
actually make the toxic urushiol glow green, while the decontaminated
urushiol will not.

Armed with this information, I can create a decontamination mix out of
the prescribed pool chemicals and rubbing alcohol, which I can use to
wash my face, hands, neck, ears, and wrists every 15 minutes, while
removing the poison oak in the field!