Old 10-01-2013, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_12_] Billy[_12_] is offline

Default Soil testing

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Nathan Heafner wrote:
Hello,
I have a large pile of ash from burning leaves, wood, limbs, pine
straw etc, and I've read that ash can be helpful to plants if my
soil ph is not over 7.5.

My questions is, how do you test your soil and what tools are used.

Im looking to test my soil soon and see some cheap and expensive
testing kits on amazon.

thanks

The best method that will give a reliable result of sufficient
accuracy at a reasonable price is a dye indicator kit. You mix a
soil sample with some dye and observe the colour against a white
background, or with white powder puffed on to it. You compare the
colour to a chart and it will give the soil pH to withing half a
unit. It is easy to do even if you have somewhat impaired colour
vision (which is the case with about 8% of males). If you are
severely colour blind you are out of luck but that is rare and you
would already know that you have the condition. One kit that has all
you need will do several hundred tests and costs about $25 here, the
price may be different where you are. Cheap electronic probe systems are
inaccurate and expensive ones are
accurate but fiddly to use and fragile.

David

pH paper is about half this cost. I've got a couple of multi-range
papers left over from my lab days. They must be 30 years old and
still work.

On your old papers, the OP hasn't got them and no doubt they still change
colour but how would you know if they are still accurate?

On using papers in general, you would have to add water to your sample of
soil to get the paper to work. Is the system calibrated to take that into
account with your local water or are you assuming deionised water is
available? How much water per given soil sample do you add and how does the
OP measure that? What is this talk of relative cost when there are no
numbers to compare?

Your suggestion might be fine but we don't know that. I would stick to the
system that was designed and calibrated for the purpose.

David, what is the name of the $25 pH kit?
PH papers may not be a bad idea, if this says what I think it says
http://shop.chemicalstore.com/naviga...ionID=10-92013
8590&id=PHPAPER114
at 80 strips for $6.25.
Amazon has a tempting pH meter for $68.99
http://www.amazon.com/Rittenhouse-82353-Soil-PH-Meter/dp/B0002F9AHM
but I don't think it can be calibrated.
More practical and more expensive is something like
http://www.groworganic.com/growing-s...il-ph-meter.ht
ml
at $129.00 .

Even with our Mickey Mouse money, 3.785 liters of deionized water costs
about a dollar.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or