Old 10-01-2013, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Good lucK David

songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Farm1 said:

Well David, we've had the automated call from the RFS about
catastrophic conditions tomorrow so will leave here early tomorrow.
I hope all is OK for you and yours and from the maps I've seen you
might be in a better position than where we are.

I hope to never get one of those.

do people have underground fire cellars?
it seems that it would be hard to know where
to head for if you are surrounded by fast
moving fires.

I haven't heard of one being purpose built. I have one by accident as my
house is built on a suspended concrete slab over brick foundations.

The point about knowing what to do in a fast moving situation is important.
We are encouraged to identify escape routes, to plan ahead, prepare the
ground and house and to make your decisions in advance not in a panic at the
end. You want to avoid making a last minute choice to flee and getting
burned in your car or staying to defend the indefensible. OTOH some houses
are saved by defenders who put out small fires which would otherwise take
hold. Not a fun choice.