Old 14-01-2013, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_7_] Ophelia[_7_] is offline

Default Bleth/Blett/Blet

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

On GQT this afternoon, a man was asking about some fruit and was
advised
to the above. What does it mean?

Certain fruits need to be bletted before they're fit to eat. That's to
say
that they need to ripen to the point of almost but not quite, rotten.
Medlars are a classic example of such treatment.

Thanks. How do you know when they are 'bletted' before they 'go over'?
Experience?

According to the theories of the late lamented Professor Heisenberg
and others, you cannot measure both the time and energy of an event
precisely. This is clearly demonstrated by bletting. In order to
select the exact chronon when the medlar is just right, you have to
expend an infinite amount of energy checking up.

Or you may just get lucky - I have never succeeded!

Given your remarks here I doubt I will every try)
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/