Old 24-04-2003, 01:56 PM
animaux

Default What is an heirloom?

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 05:20:08 -0500, "Billyism"
wrote:

What makes an heirloom variety? Why are they more expensive in the seed
catalogs? And on a different note, what's the best way to container garden
here in TX. I tried some tomatoes a few seasons back and they died when the
temp hit 100. Before that they were doing quite well. peppers are doing
great this year so far, but are they going to suffer the same fate?
Thanks,
Billyism

Both peppers, potatoes, eggplant and tomatoes are in the Solanacea family, aka
nightshade family. They do not like heat. There are some hybrids like,
'Heatwave, Merced, Celebrity,' along with other suggested varieties 'Roma' comes
to mind which tolerate more heat. For the most part, we have two short growing
seasons rather than one long one; for nightshade plants. Up north they have one
growing season for such plants.

An heirloom is a plant which produces seed which can then be collected, saved
and planted the following year and come true to that variety. 'Brandywine' is a
potato leaf heirloom. I have not had much luck with them, but I grow them in
the winter now in my greenhouse where night temperatures are cool. With
hybrids, you can also save seed, but the plant the following year will not be
the same as it was. I mean, it possibly can be the same, but not likely. It
can revert back to one or more of the original plants it came from in the
hybridization process, but you never know.

Peppers are somewhat more tolerant of heat.