Old 15-01-2013, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Potatoes for roasting.

On 2013-01-15 10:49:36 +0000, stuart noble said:

On 14/01/2013 23:49, wrote:
Janet wrote:
Perhaps they are but don't realise what a good roast potato looks and tastes
like. I've seen some sites that state how to make the perfect roast potato
that show exactly the sort of almost burnt looking and un-crisp roast
potatoes we are complaining about.
Here's one...
http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/11/t...-potatoes.html

I think those look gorgeous! Crisp and not "almost burnt". Maybe cut a
tad smaller than I would.

Now I'm wondering what yours look like

The ones in the photo look like the ones my nan has made for years, and
are /not/ parboiled before roasting. They are what I grew up on, but are
not, it turns out, what I like. When my nan stopped being able to make
the Sunday lunch and others started helping, I realised that I prefer the
parboil-then-olive-oil approach, which gives a less greasy, more yellowy
(as opposed to brown) finished product.

They say goose fat is best, followed by beef and pork in that order.
Vegetable oils don't do it for me

I usually use olive oil and I'm quite happy with that. But some of the
fat/juices from the roast are spooned over the potatoes while cooking,
too.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon