Old 15-01-2013, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_12_] Sue[_12_] is offline

Default Bindweed

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote
On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 17:38:50 +0000, Daz
wrote:

Anyway, I have a problem with Bindweed.

I got into the habit of cutting it off at ground level whenever I
noticed some growing. Eventually it gave up fighting back.

I had a bit of a problem a few yrs back with some bindweed but defeated
it with glyphosate painted on neat wherever I could get at it safely.
You do have to be persistent and deal with it over a period. Sometimes
it popped up again, perhaps from seed left in the ground, so I stay
vigilant whenever I'm gardening in that patch. So far, so good...
One trick I learnt from URG: if the OP has it among plants and shrubs
where it's difficult to get at without harming them, is to push in canes
at an angle that stick out away from the plants. Wind the bindweed onto
the cane and let it grow up that for a while til it's clear of prize
plants - then hit with glyphosate and allow to die down to the root.
Repeat as long as necessary.

--
Sue