Old 15-01-2013, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default Bindweed

On Tuesday, 15 January 2013 17:01:22 UTC, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Daz" wrote

I bought some Glyphosate as a jelly that was specially made for the

situation you are in. You paint it on and it sticks but you must not get it

on your prized plants. It certainly did the job on our allotment when we

took over this one.

If the infestation is too bad you may find you have to do what The Savill

Garden did and dig out everything and leave the border fallow for a season

so you can spray off the bindweed and kill it once and for all. Of course if

it's nextdoor it will just come back again under the fence unless they do

something too.

--

In the end, with herbaceous the clean start a la Savill Garden is the only practical way. I did it several times at work in various gardens and I did it in our new garden here on the one existing border but it wasn't a great wrench because there was nothing worthwhile there anyway. I sprayed several times over the season and still had 'mopping up' to do by hand digging and the poly bag method for the following 2 summers. We just have to watch the boundary now.

Rod