Old 15-01-2013, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Advice on a leaning hedge

On 1/15/13 3:36 AM, Will Turner wrote:

Hello,

I've got a hedge in my garden that is leaning. I wondered if anybody had
any tips to correct the problem.

Please see attached image

Many Thanks

Will

|Filename: leaning hedge.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15456|

I'm not sure, but the photo looks as if either someone sat on the hedge
or a large animal ate part of it. I don't think it is really leaning.

I would wait until March, when the coldest weather should be gone. Then
carefully prune the hedge just enough to open the damaged area so that
you can see inside. Check if there are broken branches; if there are
any, cut them out. Before new growth becomes too vigorous, you can then
shear the hedge a bit smaller than the desired shape. It should grow
back the way you want it.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see