Old 16-01-2013, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default staying online whilst no access to computer

On 16/01/2013 13:35, Janet Tweedy wrote:
I am staying at a friend's house to help her with her garden in a couple
of months but I really would like to stay online if I can.

She doesn't have the Internet (long story) - is there a way I could buy
something to plug into, say, my laptop so I could go on. I would like to
show her the RHS site and pictures of plants etc. Only need it for about
2 or 3 weeks, don't mind paying, just have no idea of whether it's a
possibility.

Check the 3G network coverage of wherever it is you are going. Then you
can buy a suitable 3G dongle and get ~2Mbps connectivity.

That is what I have done to avoid being offline when away from the
office. Price is a bit steep at typically £10 / GB so make sure you sync
your computer to all possible updates on a fixed line first!

Don't have smart phone so can't use that.

What you want is a dongle. Mine is a HuaWei HiLink 3G on network 3 and
to my amazement I actually get a usable signal back home in the sticks.
I chose this model because it had best signal in Manchester!

I think it was £40 for one with 3GB to use over 3 months and then £10
per GB per month no contract (oh and probably loss of slot timeout of
unused credit if you fail to use it for six months).

The free alternative is find the nearest net enabled and not yet closed
to save money public library.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown