Old 17-01-2013, 08:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default Advice on a leaning hedge

"Will Turner" wrote in message

It seems to me that there is two varieties of hedge and the one at the
rear is dominant and seems to be pushing over the front one. I imagine I
could somehow cut the inside of the hedge to allow space for the hedge
to be levelled, but it will naturally fall now. How would I correct this
lean?

Do you know what the plants are because that would help any readers in
giving you possible advice. If there are 2 differing plant species in theis
hedge, prehaps you could regularly (or even permanently) cut out the
dominant one and just regularly prune the less dominat one.

The other thing that might work would be to put in strong rural type steel
pickets (called star pickets in Oz and Y posts in the US but God knows what
names Brits give them) on the non leaning side and tie back the hedge with
soething really stout like truckies tie downs or cut lenghths of old inner
tube and leave it that way for months so that the branches 'set' in that
position. I use that technique when I'm training fruit trees.