Old 17-01-2013, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dick Adams[_2_] Dick Adams[_2_] is offline

Default Over Wintering an Habanero Plant

Stevie wrote:

Room temperature in our spare bedroom next to the window so I would say
16-18 degrees celcius. Watering every 14 days or so with a diluted feed
mixture around 25% of what I would give them in summer.

My house is kept at 20 C in the winter. My peppers winter in the basement
where they get the benefit of about 22.5 C by being about 8 meters from
the furnace.

I am not too fussed about getting larger fruit at the moment as we have
plenty in the freezer from summer but was unsure whether I should have
cut them back seeing as they are healthy enough.

They are a common type of Habanero I think, they are orange in colour.

For a common Habanero, like a Scotch Bonnet, I'd be very conservative
in pruning them leaving at least 7 to 8 cm.

I was educated using Feet, Pounds, Gallons, and Fahrenheit. Meters,
Kilograms, and Liters make more sense. Celcius is definitely better
for cooking. But I still prefer Fahrenheit for the weather.

Dick in Maryland
====

Dick Adams[_2_ Wrote:
;976681']Stevie wrote:

I have read various articles on how to over winter your chilli plant
but to be honest my Habanero are still healthy and producing fruit. -

At what temperature are you keeping them?

The fruit is ripening when they are tiny though and some are not much
bigger than a pea but the plant it producing flowers and tiny fruits
quite happily.-

If you keep a grow light on them for 8 to 12 hours a day, the peppers
will be larger.

Question is, should I still prune it right back or should I just allow
it to keep doing it's thing in the hope that it will grow bigger and
juicier fruits once the longer, warmer days arrive in spring? -

It really depends on the type of Habenero. I'd definitely cut back a
Bhut Jolokia, but not a Red Savina.