Old 17-01-2013, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Original Jake The Original Jake is offline

Default Anti Mole Bulbs

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 13:54:56 +0000, Another John
wrote:

In article ,
The Original Jake wrote:

Never seen seed but tried the bulbs. They didn't work. You probably
don't have that many moles. Buy a couple of traps and bury them in the
runs. Once bought you have them for years and can easily relocate them
if either you don't catch one in a particular tunnel or you do!

Further to this: is there any particular art to using a trap?

I bought one last winter, but never used it, partly because the mole
problem reduced somewhat when i started to cut the grass again (it's a
large rough area, not a lawn, and gets cut with a ride-on).

Looking at the trap, it seemed it would be difficult to cut into a
tunnel without collapsing it, thus deterring a mole from coming up it.

The mole problem is back with a great vengeance in my patch, and I need
to do *something*. I'm very much against killing animals, but there are
occasions -- i.e. infestation by pests (rabbits, rats, or moles) --
when I'm very much *in favour* of killing them!

John

I used this type of trap which kills rather than traps live.

http://www.primrose.co.uk/mole-claw-...ml?src=cat_box

The page has a link to instructions showing where and how to place the
trap. The handles will indicate if it has been sprung.

A lot of people equate a lot of mole hills to a lot of moles! But
apart from the mating season, they tend to be territorial and an
invader will often end up in a fight to the death between it and the
resident! Anything around 10 mole hills is likely to represent a
single mole.

If it's feasible, lowering the soil pH can help - the lower pH tends
to discourage earthworms which, in turn, discourages moles who find no
food. Of course, all the organic matter dug into veg patches and
allotments encourages worms.

You may well find, as I did, that catching 1 or 2 moles is the end of
your problem.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.