Old 19-01-2013, 09:50 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore[_2_] View Post
[/i][/color]
I also bought some niger seed, filled the feeder and waited..........
After a week the feeder was still full.
I emptied the seed out into a bag to give to a friend who does have
finches and refilled the tube with seed mix.
I looked up niger seed to see what it would grow into and it is a
boring coltsfoot/dandelion-looking type of flower. I wasted my money!
You were far too impatient! Three weeks is a more sensible time to allow for a goldfinch who doesn't normally visit your garden to stray off route, pluck up courage to investigate something that doesn't look like his normal source of food, and then incorporate it into his regular route.

It took my finches a couple of weeks, and they were visiting regularly for the lavender. Now they are part of the garden furniture - it's difficult to be in the garden without seeing them.

You could try kibbled sunflower hearts. They are liked by goldfinches (in some areas of the country, preferred to nyger) but taken by other species.