Old 19-01-2013, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Niger feeder recommendation

In article 6ihjf8lenm8lmlmdk08ajtsvurlohoon11@
4ax.com, says...
Good luck with your Niger/Nyger seed feeder I

haven't seen a single finch
on mine - total waste of money.

Bill

I also bought some niger seed, filled the feeder and waited..........
After a week the feeder was still full.
I emptied the seed out into a bag to give to a friend who does have
finches and refilled the tube with seed mix.
I looked up niger seed to see what it would grow into and it is a
boring coltsfoot/dandelion-looking type of flower. I wasted my money!

Pam in Bristol

I bought some niger in the spring, and during the
summer, goldfinches and siskins devoured it regularly.
Since about September, they not touched it at all. I
was wondering if the local birds had migrated south,
and we've now got a northern bunch that do not know
about niger? Certainly I've not seen any siskins
about, but there are plenty of goldfinches, mixed in
with the chaffinches, sparrows tits etc, but they only
eat the sunflower seed/mealworm mix I put out.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales