Old 20-01-2013, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default waterproofing leather boots

"Janet" wrote in message
In article , lid
says...

Want to really waterproof my new leather boots. I have heard that dubbin
will rot leather and can soften it too much,

We've used dubbin on leather boots for decades and have had no
problems you mention. Our boots are that smooth-finish hide, not
the finish like suede (can't understand why anybody chooses that finish
for walking or walking boots). IMO dubbin keeps leather flexible and
waterproof which is what I want.
I usually leave an application of dubbin on the boots overnight or
even longer to let the leather absorb it, before brushing off any
excess.

Janet.

I once had a pair of Nu-buck" boots my Hi-Tec, they were the suede like
finish you seem to dislike. After many wearings and the finish became less
than pristine, the firry finish had long since gone, I polished them with
ordinary boot polish eventually they shone like Parade Square standard.

They were probably the most comfortable boots I've ever bought.

Bill