Old 20-01-2013, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default waterproofing leather boots

On 20/01/2013 13:20, stuart noble wrote:
On 20/01/2013 12:15, newshound wrote:
On 20/01/2013 10:47, Dave West wrote:
Want to really waterproof my new leather boots. I have heard that dubbin
will rot leather and can soften it too much, and even ordinary shoe
polish
with its 'spirit' content will dry out leather and do it no favours.

I do have a tube of silicon grease would. Would that be a good idea or
might
it also damage the leather? Grateful for suggestions.

Would really help to know what they are for. Fashion? Motorcycling?
Walking? Horse riding? Do you want waterproof like wellies, or do you
just mean water repellant for urban showers? Will they get soaked day
after day, or is it just occasional use? Different answers for different
cases.

Most of the formulations are just variations on vaseline, or some
closely related mineral oil/wax. They are all hydrophobic but the softer
ones become tacky in warm weather so that everything sticks to them.
Paraffin/candle wax should perform well but needs to be melted, so not
the easiest to apply

Neats foot oil