Old 20-01-2013, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes Rick Hughes is offline

Default waterproofing leather boots

On 20/01/2013 10:47, Dave West wrote:
Want to really waterproof my new leather boots. I have heard that dubbin
will rot leather and can soften it too much, and even ordinary shoe polish
with its 'spirit' content will dry out leather and do it no favours.

I do have a tube of silicon grease would. Would that be a good idea or might
it also damage the leather? Grateful for suggestions.

As someone else pointed out NIKWAX

When I had new Army boots ... Liquid NIKWAX first, helped them break-in,
they plain Nikwax .......... helps if boots are warm (put them in airing
cupboard or similar) then rub NIKWAK in with the fingers.
Heat and pressure will work it in ....