Old 20-01-2013, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes Rick Hughes is offline

Default waterproofing leather boots

On 20/01/2013 11:17, michael adams wrote:
"Dave West" wrote in message
Want to really waterproof my new leather boots. I have heard that dubbin will
rot leather

Really ?

It was claimed at one point that amino acids in dubbin can
affect stitching. There has never been a recorded case of
dubbin ever rotting leather.

Dubbin is fairly chaep to produce and has been used in various
formulations without problems on saddlery etc for hundreds
of years.

Which is clearly an unsatisfactory state of affairs, if you'd
rather sell branded gunk to a gullible public at a 500% mark up.

In a Wilkison's near you. They used to sell Dales dubbin at
65p per tin, but maybe Dales got taken over as its now Cherry
Blossom Dubbin at £1 a tin.

michael adams

and can soften it too much, and even ordinary shoe polish with its 'spirit'
content will dry out leather and do it no favours.

I do have a tube of silicon grease would. Would that be a good idea or might
it also damage the leather? Grateful for suggestions.

I would not use Silicon grease.
Dubbin works fine but never really 'sets' so boots stay greasy, and then
picks up sand & dust which sticks to it.
NIKWAX