Old 24-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] crabapple species?

Jim Lewis wrote:

Would anyone know what species wild crabapple would be? I

collected a
couple in an abandoned pasture in Maine a couple of years ago,

and would
be interested in finding out the botanical name.

There aren't any native crabapples from Maine, so it is MOST
likely to be the common apple, Malus sylvestris (AKA, M.
pumila -- or 'wild apple'). I suppose it could be an escaped
crab, but that seems extremely unlikely.

Jerry Stowell's "The Beginner's Guide to American Bonsai" covers
apple bonsai in some detail.

With all the collecting you do, Craig, you Really, Really need to
get a good tree ID book for the N.E. U.S.A..

David Thoreau - Walden

I have one--Audubon Society. It's good, but doesn't cover everything.

I was thinking it might be a sub-variety of the common apple, but wasn't
sure.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a