Old 20-01-2013, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell[_2_] Nick Odell[_2_] is offline

Default waterproofing leather boots

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 18:34:51 +0000, Phil Cook
wrote:

On 20/01/2013 13:58, wrote:
In article ,
Dave West wrote:

But it depends on what you mean by "really waterproof" - at most,
you can waterproof them for two days' of use, they will start to
leak on the third day and get worse thereafter. If you can dry
boots out overnight and treat them in the morning, fine, but that's
impossible on multi-day trips. I know of no solution for such use,
based on leather boots or otherwise - and nor do the army!

I saw a documentary on the falklands conflict the other day and it said the
army had trouble with trench foot (from having wet feet) over that long walk
they had to do there.

The British army had a little trouble, but not much, because the
conditions were the same as the ones they had trained in (in the
Highlands). The Argentine conscripts were in really bad shape.
Trench foot is caused by extended periods of cold, wet feet (not
just wet); extended periods of hot, wet feet causes other problems,
and is a major problem in tropical jungles.

It did make me wonder why they dont go for those all rubber lace up boots,
which are fine for the colder locations. (i did have a pair once, came from
malaysia).

Not really, because they don't breathe, so sweat accumulates.

The problems the Brits had were due to the moulded sole construction
of their boots and the fact they were a little on the short side. Some
of the Argies had rather good boots which were much sought after by
our chaps.

Still made in Argentina to the same quality standard. These are the
boots I was talking about elsewhere in the thread.

Nick