Old 21-01-2013, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Insulating properties of snow

"Broadback" wrote

After a fairly heavy snow fall on Thursday I cleared my drive. This was
fine until last night we had a light fall, so out to clear the drive again.
Where I had cleared previously under the snow was frozen, however where I
had not cleared it was completely free of ice and easy to shovel away.

In their native areas the Pleonies I grow spend the winter under a nice warm
and dry blanket of snow. Come the thaw they respond to the slight rise in
temperature, increase in light and melted snow by blooming. It's a system I
try to mimic in a small way by bringing them up under the eaves of the house
in winter where it's slightly warmer, dryer and shadier.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.