Old 21-01-2013, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Muddymike[_2_] Muddymike[_2_] is offline

Default waterproofing leather boots

"Pam Moore" wrote in message

On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 11:26:48 +0000, usenet2012
wrote:

In message , Dave West
writes
Want to really waterproof my new leather boots. I have heard that dubbin
will rot leather and can soften it too much, and even ordinary shoe
polish
with its 'spirit' content will dry out leather and do it no favours.

I do have a tube of silicon grease would. Would that be a good idea or
might
it also damage the leather? Grateful for suggestions.

I use Renapur Leather Balsam on both our leather furniture and footware.
They say apply with a sponge but I prefer to use a finger. Smells good
too.

That's the one I use. Bought it at a garden show some years ago. It
does a really good job. I use the sponge supplied.

Pam in Bristol

I find Nikwax works well. I just work it in with my fingers.

Mike