Old 21-01-2013, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
PeterC[_2_] PeterC[_2_] is offline

Default waterproofing leather boots

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:31:46 +0000, Alan Dicey wrote:

On 20/01/2013 11:27, Janet wrote:
In article , lid
says...

Want to really waterproof my new leather boots. I have heard that dubbin
will rot leather and can soften it too much,

We've used dubbin on leather boots for decades and have had no
problems you mention. Our boots are that smooth-finish hide, not
the finish like suede (can't understand why anybody chooses that finish
for walking or walking boots).

I think the idea of "reversed leather" is to keep the skin-side inside,
where it won't get scuffed. How well that works in practice is
anybody's guess, I've never had a pair like that.

IMO dubbin keeps leather flexible and
waterproof which is what I want.

The "dubbin rots stitching" rumour has been going around since I were a
lad, so fifty years at least.

On my previous Scarpa Monte Rosa's I used the olive-oil treatment: pour
oil into one boot until it's full, leave until it starts to ooze out,
pour into other boot, ditto. Pour remaining oil into bottle for next
treatment, oil remaining in boot will sink into the leather. Obviously
you get your olive oil from the vet, not some extra virgin at the
supermarket.

ISTR castor oil being mentioned in here - was that so?

Worked an absolute treat, the boots stayed waterproof and flexible for
years.

Modern boots have inconvenient linings and also the leather is
frequently treated before you get them e.g. Scarpa with HS12, so you
apply more HS12 or Aqueous Nikwax, which Scarpa endorses.

Anybody know what HiTech's IonMask is like for performance and durability.
The hydrophobic treatments rely on cleanliness - not easy with garments and
impossible with boots.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away