Old 22-01-2013, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default Mini watermelons

"songbird" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:

I'm growing mini watermelons for the first time and I have a few tiny
melons
that have set on my vines so in the current heat we are getting I should
be
able to get them to harvest if I can keep up the water to them.

Does anyone know if theyd need anything at this stage of summer other
than
heat and water to keep them ramping along?

wish i were a melon expert.

so do I! It's never been reliably hot aroudn here for logn enough for me to
become a melon expert and i love watermelosn and rockmelons (which you'd
call canteloups)

i'd say you're doing fine if you
can keep up with them.

will you have enough time yet to set
more fruit and get it to ripen? if so i
would lightly feed at the outwards nodes
with your favorite liquid fertilizer.

the biggest is now aobut the sice of my two cleched fists held together and
they are supposed to be 'mini' watermelons so I'm hoping htye will hav
enough time to get to harvesting. We should still get a full 2 or even 3
more months with a frost.

I've been keeping the water up and I've given some food but not a lot. I
figure little and not too often might be better than too much food.

I'll let you know how they go.