Old 22-01-2013, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Insulating properties of snow

On 22/01/2013 18:09, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote

Thanks for that, Bob. I may try mine outside again, but in clay
troughs so I can keep them close to the house. I love the edge-of-pond
idea but, unfortunately, our pond is out in the open and would
probably get too much sun. Otherwise it's an excellent idea and would
probably help to keep cranes and other critters from attacking the fish.

I may still keep a small pot of bulbs indoors to replenish any that
are stolen by squirrels (drat! I'd forgotten them) or eaten by slugs.
I don't know how you get away without slug/snail damage, especially
since you offer them constant humidity in the summer. We are overrun
with marauding molluscs:~(.

If you have it try Vesuvius outside first, it seems the most hardy of
those I've got other than the species P.formosana and seems to be making
a bid to take over all the pans. Shantung was hit badly by the last
couple of bad winters, Eiger doesn't seem to increase much, some times
it does well others it doesn't, Tongario does OK too and more than holds
it's own.
One benefit of growing them outside is that as I repot every two years,
because they are orchids and like most obviously use a fungus, I do get
seedlings of my Dactylorhiza in the pans too. This year only one but
also what looks like a seedling of our Pinus aristata, repotting is a
bit like lucky dip.

Oooh! That sounds interesting, Bob! I haven't got Vesuvius *yet*, but
will look out for some. I've only got p. formosana atm. They bulked up
quite well ... then I gave some away and since then mine have sulked a
bit:~(. Perhaps partly due to my inattention following a couple of
family bereavements. Must shake myself into action this year.

Must do dinner now (before it burns!), but will google on various
pleiones and see who sells what.

Thanks for your help. Invaluable as always.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London