Old 22-01-2013, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default waterproofing leather boots

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:

My experience with Goretex lined boots is that the lining lets in water
after a short while. I suspect it tears along the stitching attaching
the sole, but that's just a guess.

The claims often made for Goretex are complete twaddle, and it is
not fully waterproof even when intact. However, the rate at which
water can get through it is very low, so that would account only
for dampness. But the same applies to its breathability (which
fails in very wet or cold conditions), so water inside could be
condensed sweat.

Disagree entirely, My various boots, Berghaus, Meindle and Trail shoes all
of which had Goretex lnings all performed perfectly in wet conditions.

Physics is not mocked. What I said is correct. You may well
believe in Maxwell's demon, but there's no such animal.

Once Goretex gets saturated, the surface tension no longer blocks
water from passing through, and it is no longer waterproof. But,
as I said, the percolation rate through its very small pores is low.

Once Goretex gets covered with water on the outside, saturated in
any other way, or it gets colder than the dewpoint of the water
vapour inside, it ceases to be breathable.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

You can theorise all you like I can only comment on what I actually
experienced and still do.

Bill