Old 23-01-2013, 11:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Mini watermelons

Farm1 said:
The physalis are looking great - now I just need
to figure ut what to do with them when they are ripe and also finding out if
they are ripe when the calyxs (sp?) go papery or is it before then?

If these are the sort that go by the common name "ground cherry" or "cape
gooseberry" then they are ripe when the husks are dry and papery. Shake
the plant and the ripest ones will fall right off.

They make a good jam and can also be dried. I was less fond of them fresh.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored