Old 24-01-2013, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default waterproofing leather boots

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 09:59:59 +0000 (GMT), wrote:

Also, rubbing causes transient overpressure
which can cause 'breakthrough' - and, once that has happened and
both sides of the pores are wet, the surface tension effect is
(mostly) lost.

I had, somewhere, the catalog of an outdoor supplier. They said that for tent
floors, such-and-such head (10 meters? 20? I forget, but it was it was a lot
more than I would have expected) was a reasonable lower limit to keep the floor
dry-ish in rain.

Moving around on the tent floor would "work" the water through; dirt from below
would make it worse. This agrees with the above... (They also said to put a
cheap tarp or plastic sheet under it to help keep away water, dirt, and holes.)

Thomas Prufer