Old 24-01-2013, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.walking,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles
ogden ogden is offline

Default waterproofing leather boots

Andy Champ wrote:

On 23/01/2013 09:59, wrote:
Well, maybe. I accept that is true under simple conditions, but
real life isn't that simple. Inter alia, one of the reasons that
Goretex says that its fabrics must be kept clean is that 'dirt'
can act as a flux. Also, rubbing causes transient overpressure
which can cause 'breakthrough' - and, once that has happened and
both sides of the pores are wet, the surface tension effect is
(mostly) lost.

There is also the question of what the overpressure is for pouring
rain being driven by a force 7 gale :-)

I'm cross-posting this to uk.rec.motorcycles, because they are rather
familiar with the problems of high wind speeds and rain.

I've worn Goretex kit in rain at up to 160mph and stayed dry.

In "high wind speeds", I tend to worry more about what's in front of me
than the science behind why I'm not soaking wet.

--
ogden

990SMT - bouncy orange tractor
GSXR1000 - vintage sports-tourer