Old 26-01-2013, 10:20 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
On Friday, January 11, 2013 5:16:47 PM UTC-5, mj wrote:
I have 2 pretty big Rose of Sharron plants I would like to move. They are over 5 feet tall and have been the ground about 5 years. Can I get enough of the root structure to move them or will I just kill them? Also when would be the best time to do this, I am assuming before they leaf in the spring? Thanks in advance for and advice.

MJ

It is the Hibiscus Type. The reason for the transplant is because I originally put them in the vegetable garden street side kind of as a block. 7 year later I want the space back. My current thoughts are to just cut it was back and leave them right where they are.
Thanks Everyone,
MJ
If they have yellow flowers then they will be Hypericum sp. probably one called Hidcote. These are more bush like as opposed to H. calycinum which is more or an invasive ground covering plant.
Cut it back to about 2ft, tie in remaining branches with rope to allow you to get at the root and with a very sharp spade (sharpened with a file) cut around the trunk of the bush about 1ft away to form a rootball. JUST CUT at this stage and DONT lever on it until you have cut all the way around. Now gently prise out this rootball (trying to keep it intact) and resite it where you want it. Now would be a good time to do this.
regards Lannerman.