Old 27-01-2013, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_12_] Billy[_12_] is offline

Default Mini watermelons

In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

So, it is a "C peruviana". Another Solanaceae, for those other
gardeners trying to figure out a crop rotation for their garden beds.
Just the term Physalis is a little vague as there are over half-a-dozen
of this genera: Tomatillo, Physalis alkekengi, Physalis minima, Physalis
heterophylla, Physalis peruviana, Physalis longifolia, Physalis
coztomatl, Physalis angulata.

Our garden is only 600 sq. ft. (57 sq. m.), and tomatoes, and peppers
(Solanaceae) are already staples there. Calculating in something like
eggplant (melanzana), or tomatillo (physalis) into a 3 year rotation is
intimidating.

I find any rotation intimidating and I'm not the least bit restricted for
space.

I'm constantly lusting after more garden space, especially flat land (as
I get older), and with full sun.

LOL. I can theoretically understand that Billy. You wouldn't want that
full sun if you'd had a summer like I have had. And it's not even February
yet when it usually gets really hot. I'm lusting for shade all the time at
the moment but even moving to follow the shade around and try to do the
gardneing that way has meant that one has to be inside by 10 am or otherwise
it's heat stroke territory.

Good luck with your experiment.

Thank Billy. I checked the watermelons this morning and they would now be
about the size of 3 clenched fists. They are cranking along now. One
physalis plants is covered with fruit and the other one has lots of flowers
and although I dind't look all that closely, it doesn't look like it has any
fruit. Must check more closely tomorrow.

You mates look to be having an interesting time. Fires to the South, and
floods to the North.

I'll be starting some lettuce, and snow peas this week-end.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or