Old 29-01-2013, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default Fruit tree

"Plymouth82" wrote in message

Any tips and advice about cutting back an old apple tree. It was here
when we bought the house and I wails say has not been cut back in years.
It is much too large it had loads of fruit last yr but all very small.
Should I go lightly with the cut back or really go for it. I have only
ever had cherrie trees before and they liked a hard prune back every few
yrs any hints?

Over the next few years, prune it back hard. By that I mean to pick a major
branch and to take that back hardin this year, next year pick another major
branch and cut that back.

If you go at it all in one go, you will end up with more new growth than
hair's on a dog's back.