Old 31-01-2013, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default Blanket-weed killer: is now too soon?

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:

Yes, I put my 'weed' on the edge of the pond for the same reason, but
I suspect it's wishful thinking! I reckon the wee beasties have about
as much chance of fighting their way out of that tangled mass as a man
in a straight jacket has of getting out of a locked padded cell
(Houdini excepted)!

which would be fine if she EVER returned to clean up those piles
after the creatures are gone!

Er....of course you could do it yourself.

My dear chap: I end up doing it anyway! (That's why I'm fed up of it.)
For purely self-indulgent reasons, the wife *loves* pulling the weed
out, but she ain't so hot at tidying up the mess later.

For the same reason you mention above (non-alarmist, complacent
creatures), I personally would heave it all straight on to the compost,
if my wife would let me, but she doesn't, so I leave it at the side also.

However: I do like Kay's idea of a wire basket: this at least would
concentrate the mess! I will give it a go, Kay, and work out how to
prevent it sliding back in.

Following my natural inclination, I'm easily persuaded by your arguments
that an algicide is the wrong way to go.

I'll just go and hug me tree...

Thanks peeps
John