Old 01-02-2013, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Composting a Cordyline?

"Johno" wrote

My neighbour had a codyline, hideous scrawny thing, until it died following
last winters severe cold weather. It has remained standing, ugly and bare
since then. Until last weekend, when it finally keeled over. I offered to
help hm dispose of it as he is in not brilliant health.

It was after making the first cut through the trunk I noticed how similar
it is to coir fibre.

That got me thinking, could it be recycled into a compost or mulch? Anyone
here have experience of this.

My initial thought was to hack it into chunks, split the chunks lengthwise
and place in blag bags/under cover and let nature take its course.

If it is a non starter then it is going to the tip

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

The branches that died on mine went in the compost bin and rotted down
without a problem.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.