Old 02-02-2013, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Replacing a heather bed

On 2013-02-02 17:07:27 +0000, Roger Tonkin said:

I have a steeply sloping bed, close to the north west
corner of the house. It slopes downwards towards the
house and receives little or or sunshine being shaded
by the house.

It was planted with heathers some 18 years ago, and
they have now gone very straggly and where they've
been cut back off the wall/path unsightly.

SWMBO has decided that they need replacing, but before
doing this I was wondering if there is any other plant
that would provide ground cover for this very shady,
cold slope. It is too steep to work regularly or for
lawn, and the lawn above it is more of a moss bed than
a grass bed!

Thanks for any ideas

It might be worth your while to have a look through the hardy
Geraniums. And also take a look at Hypericum calycinum, as well as the
Vincas.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com