Old 02-02-2013, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Original Jake The Original Jake is offline

Default Replacing a heather bed

On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 17:07:27 -0000, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

I have a steeply sloping bed, close to the north west
corner of the house. It slopes downwards towards the
house and receives little or or sunshine being shaded
by the house.

It was planted with heathers some 18 years ago, and
they have now gone very straggly and where they've
been cut back off the wall/path unsightly.

SWMBO has decided that they need replacing, but before
doing this I was wondering if there is any other plant
that would provide ground cover for this very shady,
cold slope. It is too steep to work regularly or for
lawn, and the lawn above it is more of a moss bed than
a grass bed!

Thanks for any ideas

I once rejuvenated an old heather bed by simply lifting the plants and
burying them deeper. Last I heard was that some 5 years later they
were still growing and flowering happily.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.