Old 24-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Bill Brewer

Default Fritillaria Imperialis

For the last fifteen years I have grown three varieties of Fritillaria
imperialis in my garden, 'Rubra', 'Lutea' and 'Aurora' with limited
flowering success. I remember that the first five years were fine, but from
then onwards flowering became a rarity. At the time of planting, I followed
planting instructions to the letter. They have never been dug up and moved
to a new location as I understand that crown imperials should be left
undisturbed. This year I have just one in flower at the moment, an 'Aurora'.
What could be wrong with them? Any thoughts to the group on the subject
would be most welcome.

Bill Brewer
"Nick Maclaren" wrote in a message:

Wait until early autumn. They are available from August onwards.
The bulbs are not cheap (especially lutea, the yellow one), but
are worth it. They like to be planted deep (6" down at the top)
and to be able to get at water in their growing season. They don't
mind a fair amount of shade. If they like the conditions, they
will self-seed, and a FEW of the seedlings will establish themselves.