Old 24-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] crabapple species?

Luke Tulkas wrote:

Craig asked for a name not whether the tree is native. The fact that he
found it on a pasture could as well mean that it is one of the
non-native ones. That's why I said that everything Malus was a candidate
in the first place. Those three are just more likely candidates.

I looked at the leaves again, and I think it is Malus sylvestris. The leaves match
perfectly. What I didn't know was if a wild crabapple could be of this species, or
a different one. It definitely is a crabapple though. The apples on the ground
when I collected it were small and crabby.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++