Old 08-02-2013, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Kew Orchid Festival

"David Hill" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
Whilst the Festival does not start until Saturday most of the displays
were already done yesterday when we took a stroll round Kew so here are
some photos...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7632715778539/

Nice set of pics, esp the blue and the set following.
I can't say I like the way many are displayed, may look better in real
life, buy to artificial for me.
I remember going up to Glasgow for the 14th World Orchid Conference at the
Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre in April 1993.
I just went for the show of orchids.
Orchid growers from all around the world were exhibiting their orchids, it
was just mind blowing, with flowers of all sizes some smaller than the head
of a match, the whole plant would have fitted into a match box.

Thanks for the comments David, you obviously like Vandas, very difficult to
grow and flower in the UK, even the gardener I spoke to said they had a
great many in their tropical nursery but could only ever put on a small
display because they are so shy flowering in our low light country.
Now there's a coincidence, we went to that Orchid Conference too. I too
prefer a more naturalistic type display but I can't deny it was stunning.

Plenty of smaller shows around...
http://www.iantparsons.creators.co.u.../showdiary.php
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.