Old 10-02-2013, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_12_] Billy[_12_] is offline

Default Mini watermelons

In article ,
allen73 wrote:

'Farm1[_4_ Wrote:
;976801']I'm growing mini watermelons for the first time and I have a
few tiny melons
that have set on my vines so in the current heat we are getting I should
be
able to get them to harvest if I can keep up the water to them.

Does anyone know if theyd need anything at this stage of summer other
than
heat and water to keep them ramping along?

Use granular fertilizer to your plant. Most granular fertilizers are
applied at a rate of 11/2 pounds per 100 square feet. Scatter the
fertilizer around the plants and water it well. But make sure that the
fertilizer does not come in contact with the plant, as this may cause
the plant to burn. You can use base nutrients Sensi bloom which will
work well. This will help the plant to get the energy they need to
produce high quality fruit.

Allen, Farm1 is in NSW Australia. Her weather is the equivalent of our
August. She wants her melons to ripen, not to go vegetative, which is
what your course of action would lead to. When plants start running out
of warmth, and food, they try to set their fruit as quickly as they can.
Spring and mid-summer are the times for nitrogen.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or