Old 10-02-2013, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Guess The New Beechgrove Presenter

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 11:34:34 +0000, David Rance wrote:

On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 Emery Davis wrote:

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 09:43:34 +0000, David Rance wrote:

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 Martin wrote:

I never anything so daft as Monty in a straw hat driving a 2CV between
French gardens on TV this evening.

I've just watched that programme again and I'm going to disagree with
you.

Lord his French was awful.

No, It wasn't that bad. Don't criticise him for not getting everything
completely right.

It was disgraceful. I don't criticise him for trying -- which most
French really appreciate -- but when he's going to repeat words over and
over, imparting his wisdom, at least he could take the time to get it
right.

What I criticise him for is seemingly not understanding half of what was
said to him, but pretending he did...

He was actually quite insulting to several of
the characters. Especially the nice lady with the allotment who was
doing her best to be a really good sport.

That's not true. He wasn't insulting at all. What made you think that?

.... and that's why he was insulting. He didn't know how to respond, and
so he "talked past" people, with no connection. Culturally, he dissed
her. I'll bet that woman went home and said quel culduc.

Not to mention the onion farmer, where Monty insisted they were
the "best" even when the guy said "the sweetest."

No, Monty started off by saying that he understood they were the best
onions. The guy then corrected him by saying they were the sweetest.

I seem to remember him grunting in response with no apparent
understanding, but I certainly didn't record it!

And all the BS about (mispronounced) paysans, honestly.

He pronounced it in two different ways. One was when he was using it as
an English word in an English sentence. The other, which was a correct
pronunciation, was when he was explaining what the French word implied.

He explained the mythic, dictionary definition of the word. In modern
French "paysan" means farmer, no more or less. Yes there can be a
connotation of deeper culture, but someone who says "je suis paysan" is
_not_ saying "I'm a peasant", he's saying "I'm a farmer." "Peasant" in
the English sense is probably better translated as "plouc."

We certainly enjoyed the scenery, summer in the south and all that.

I wonder that you didn't criticise the southern accents! "Bieng" for
"bien" and "jardaing" for "jardin!. ;-)

Well, I'm told I sound like a Swiss when I speak French, so I certainly
can't fault any regional accents! It's a nice compliment anyway, 10
years ago I sounded like a Belgian!!

Judging by all the unjustified criticisms I don't think that any of you
really paid full attention to the programme.

We watched it, which is probably all they care about. But I won't watch
it again. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and hope you continue to do so. But
for me, too many issues, and Monty came off as an a*se.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy