Old 10-02-2013, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Best Soil for Succulents?

On 2/9/13 6:33 PM, W wrote:
I am trying to find the best soil for succulents in a Mediterranean climate.
For the pots I have planted so far, the mixture where the succulents seem to
grow like weeds and just love the soil it is about 1/2 fir bark and 1/2
sand. I read online that several people recommend 1/3 fir bark, 1/3 pumice
(I assume that is replacement for the sand?), and 1/3 Drystall (to absorb
and retain moisture). What do others have success with?

The 1/2 fir bark and 1/2 sand mixture is always dry on top and slightly
moist if you poke your finger a few inches into the soil. I didn't think
succulents liked soil that stays moist? However all of the plants I have
tried in that soil appear to really thrive.

In terms of fir bark, is there a particular brand or guidance on sizing of
the bark I should look for?

I use 2/3 coarse sand and 1/3 peat moss with a very small amount of
blood meal and a slightly larger amount of bone meal. For coarse sand,
I go to a local builder's supply yard and buy washed plaster sand. To
ensure the nutrients break down and become available to the plants, I
also include a small amount of compost, which contains the necessary
soil microbes.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see