Old 10-02-2013, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_12_] Billy[_12_] is offline

Default Mini watermelons

In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message news:wildbilly-

Allen, Farm1 is in NSW Australia.

:-)) You remembered!

Her weather is the equivalent of our
August. She wants her melons to ripen,

.......and today I harvested the first one. Not having ever grown them
before, I wondered if they were ripe when you knocked on them. The one I
harvested knocked beautifully but it wasn't quite ripe. It was tasty and
certainly had a good watermelony flavour, but I think another week or so
would have been better. Not to worry, my grandkids will scoff it down
anyway.

I've also got 2 different types of ripe plums (well prunes really but I've
never really known what the difference between the plums and prunes is
supposed to be- these are both officially 'prunes'), ripe apples and strawbs
and zucchs and the basket I took to my offspring's place full of garden
goodies looked gorgeous with a dozen eggs added along with some herbs and a
few other things that I now can't bring to mind.

If I remember correctly, Bill Who Putters, once said if the melon sounds
like your head when you tap it, it's not ripe. If it sounds like your
stomach when you tap it, it's over ripe, but if it sounds like your
chest when you tap it, it IS ripe.

Maybe once Bill Who Putters digs himself out of the snow, he'll respond.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or