Old 11-02-2013, 01:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
joevan[_3_] joevan[_3_] is offline

Default snowy walnut tree

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 19:45:28 +0100, Willi wrote:

Am 10.02.2013 16:44, schrieb joevan:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 15:29:38 +0100, Willi wrote:

There was a great big one in my grandmoms yard the 40's and 50's and
great were those black walnuts. If that is such a tree, and yours, I
wish you many years of enjoyment. I can get black walnuts here now and
then. They are a treasure.

It is 'juglans regia'(yes, it's mine). Do you refer to 'juglans nigra'?
Their nutshells are stronger and sharper corrugated than those of regia.
I've seen such a tree now and then, but I didn't know that the nuts were
edible. Thanks for the ineresting info.

We used to let dad run over the outer shells with his car, to rid a
lot of work doing it ourselves. Those days we used a hammer and
whatever to crack the nut, and then enjoy the inner wonder.
The outer husks were green. Once off the inner nut was sharp and
corrugated as you say. And I recall black in color.