Old 11-02-2013, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default Mini watermelons

"songbird" wrote in message
Farm1 wrote:
.......and today I harvested the first one. Not having ever grown them
before, I wondered if they were ripe when you knocked on them. The one I
harvested knocked beautifully but it wasn't quite ripe. It was tasty and
certainly had a good watermelony flavour, but I think another week or so
would have been better. Not to worry, my grandkids will scoff it down
anyway.

i would like to hear more "how to tell a
melon is ripe" descriptions...

:-)) So would I!

since i've not grown them it would come
in handy.

I've also got 2 different types of ripe plums (well prunes really but
I've never really known what the difference between the plums and
prunes is
supposed to be- these are both officially 'prunes'),

for me prunes have always been dried plums.

The varieties I have (Robe de Sargent and D'Agen) are both sold here as
prunes but since prunes come from plums I guess it is like you say probalby
just a case of if they are dried or not. Either way, they are very tasty.

ripe apples and strawbs
and zucchs and the basket I took to my offspring's place full of garden
goodies looked gorgeous with a dozen eggs added along with some herbs and
few other things that I now can't bring to mind.

nice to hear about green, growing and ripe
when i'm looking at snow... today it is
supposed to rain and get warmer again. after
-3F the other night i'm ok with that.

Yes, I can imagine. Those storms in the NE of the US look diabolical. I
think after seeing the pics that I'd even prefer stinking heat and bushfires
over those sorts of conditions any day.