Old 11-02-2013, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Guess The New Beechgrove Presenter

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 18:02:20 +0000, David Rance wrote:

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 Emery Davis wrote:

No offense intended, but are you a fluent French speaker?

No offence (sic) taken but that was patronising! It is not for me to say
whether or not I am fluent in French as I never make claims for myself,
modesty forbids, but I can speak for my wife who is completely
bi-lingual in French and English. My French is not quite as good as
hers, and that is as much as I will say!

Hm, well. There was a reason I asked, because if you're not a fluent
speaker you may miss nuance. And if you're not immersed in a culture you
may miss nuance. You never make claims for yourself perhaps, but you
seem willing to pass judgment on whether another interaction was rude or
not. We thought it was very rude, you didn't, end of.

BTW, when using sic it is customary to quote the original exactly, not
the "correction". In this case I accidentally used the second or
American spelling, because that's what I learned growing up in NY.
Interesting the spell checker didn't catch it, it does flag other
Americanisms.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy