Old 11-02-2013, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Guess The New Beechgrove Presenter

On 2013-02-11 11:27:56 +0000, said:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

The obvious recommendation is total immersion by spending 6 months
living there and speaking nothing but French. ...

I am sorry, but you have misunderstood. I meant what I said when I
said that I cannot HEAR it - the neurological pathways in my brain
do not distinguish enough of it (or, as I said, register some of them
as sounds at all). I am FAR too old to develop the pathways needed
to do so. That is relatively unusual, but I have been severely deaf
since childhood.

You probably don't know how hearing works, but it isn't how most
people think it works. People learn to register sounds in early
childhood, which is why it is so hard to learn some languages in
old age (meaning after 5). French is unusual in its sound usage
among Indo-Aryan languages, though not as much as Chinese, let
alone the Khoisan or most Amerind languages.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Perhaps you missed the bit where I also suggested readiing a French
newspaper each day? As you mentioned wanting to be able to read French
again, I thought that might help you.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com