Old 12-02-2013, 11:54 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery Davis[_3_] View Post
Wondering if anyone is growing or has any knowledge of this pretty Cornus?
Rumour has it it will even grow in sodden clay! Which describes quite
well the spot I have it in. I got it from a nursery last year where it
had frozen quite badly and lost all it's leaves, there was some dieback
but it did manage to put out some decent leaf in June and is still
holding, looking quite pretty right now. Mine is very small but I'm
hoping if I can establish it, it will take a bit of cold. Apparently
this species is less hardy than C. angustata.
Crug sell them, grown from seeds they collected 7 years ago. Perhaps they can give some advice. They recommend well drained, though the PFAF data sheet suggests clay may be OK. I'd suspect in general with marginally hardy evergreens that well-drained is a better idea, because it is often stem rot that gets them, at least that's been my experience with killing marginally hardy evergreens. Though actually my soil is fairly well drained, it was sharply drained, at least for the upper layers, that I needed to reduce the risk of killing them.